All Board members were present for this meeting. Meeting started with Duplicate License Request…. For some reason Board Attorney Jeff Jernigan was having a problem with me using my camcorder to record the Board discussing individuals requesting a Duplicate Licenses. THANKFULLY Executive Director, Cynthia Johnson, stepped in and stating instead of calling out an individuals name they could just use a number…. The Board approved 13 of the 14 request.
I was on the agenda today with several questions for the Board….
1. Why are the prior Board Meeting Minutes not posted on the Board’s Web Site… Response… The minutes have not been signed by the Board members. They were signed during this Board meeting…. But as of today 10-14-2014 they are not posted on the Boards website…
2. Executive Director not returning phone calls….. Response… Cynthia Johnson stated that the fastest way to receive a response from her was to e-mail questions to her. Her e-mail address is CJohnson@msbc.state.ms.us I will say that I have already e-mailed her twice and she responded to me in less that 24 hours both times….
3. Graduates are having to wait too long to receive their licenses…. Response…. The Board office has hired someone to take over the printing of the licenses. The Board office is also separating licenses into RENEWAL and NEW with NEW LICENSES getting priority over renewal.
4. When is Enrollment Information Checked….. Response….. The Board office does not check enrollment information until the student has made application for examination!!!! However Executive Director, Cynthia Johnson, stated that if you needed to have something verified prior to the student making application for examination or actually starting classes, you may request for the Board office to do that verification on a case by case bases.
5. What are we doing about the Schools needing Post-Secondary identification on their school licenses…. Response… Board Attorney Jeff Jernigan has proposed to the Board to add a Rule which will be Rule 2.15 Post-Secondary School of Cosmetology – Eligibility. Basically he has told the Board what I have been saying for over a year. So yes, the Board is adding to the Rules and Regulation a section which would allow for schools to be identified as a Secondary or Post-Secondary Institution… FINALLY!!!!!
6. This is the MOST IMPORTANT question… What is going on with our TESTING??…. Once again I was told we can not discuss it….. I told the Board what they were doing was not fair… If they wanted to change testing companies FINE… However, the schools should have been given at least a 6 month window in order to prepare our students for their practical examination with this new company…. We all know that some Board Members want those dang Pin Curls and Finger waves back on the Practical Test… We are going to be lucky to even get a 30 day notice on the new testing company and the changes we need to start teaching our students NOW!!!!
The Board went ahead and scheduled the oral proceeding on the new Rule 2.15 Post-Secondary School of Cosmetology – Eligibility for Monday October 27, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
The Board had conversation about hosting a workshop where “FINALLY” they would invite the schools to participate. January 11, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. was put out there but I will keep you informed to the final decision will be….